Sunday, September 30, 2012

In English, Amigo


It was sad for me when some friends from Agile-Barcelona community didn't attended to ALE2012 because it was in English. Next week we'll have Rachel Davies in our Coaching Dojo, and there wasn't the enthusiastic response it deserved, I guess because it's in English.

I am lucky to be working in a company where I need to speak English every day, and being exposed is the best way to learn and practice a language. So, organizing events in English in Agile-Barcelona will be the best way to contribute to our improvement.

And thinking about our weakness got me to wonder if contributing on books translations makes good or bad. For my friends who have not had the opportunity to start learning English, having the books translated is the only way to have access to them. For my friends who understand English, having the book translated is an opportunity to be lazy: they won't go out of their comfort zone.

I've decided to help the ones who can not get to the original source. I'm trying to contribute in the translation of two very interesting books: 
  • Commitment is a graphic novel by Olav Maassen, Chris Matts and Chris Geary from which you can learn about Real Options
  • In Who Is Agile, by Yves Hanoulle you can learn about some agilists around the world, agile communities, events, etc.



You can get in touch with me if you want to contribute to the Spahish or Catalan translations.

I've realized that I have to use English more often in this blog, that I won't blog only in English. I will write in English, Catalan or Spanish, whichever I find more appropriate or I feel like. Just because I can.  

1 comment:

Mari said...

Really like your text! I agree with you. I would like to contribute to the translations but now I'm quite busy with work, gym and coursera courses. Maybe in the future! Cu!